Electrical fires result in more costly property damage than any other type
of fire, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency. When dealing
with the most dangerous type of
fire, it's best to know what do when one occurs.
How Does One Start?
The most common reasons for electrical fires are power surges and when
frayed wires meet flammable materials. Unfortunately, the flammable materials
end up being the wire's insulation. So even if nothing is touching
the wires, a fire can still begin.
It might seem like common sense to douse a fire with water, but not when
it comes to electrical fires. Since water conducts electricity you can
be electrocuted during the process. Water with a live current can also
cause sparks, resulting in more materials igniting.
Type C Fire Extinguisher
This special type of fire extinguisher will release carbon dioxide, robbing
the fire of the oxygen that it needs to stay lit. Dry chemicals are needed
for electrical fires because other types of fire extinguishers utilize
water or other materials that can conduct electricity.
Main Breaker & the Fire Department
If you're having trouble putting out a small electrical fire and it's
starting to spread, run to the main breaker and flip the switch. This
will cut all of the electricity in your home, giving you a chance to actually
fight this fire. If the fire grows to be too big, immediately leave the
house and call the fire department. It's better to get out safe than
to risk injury while trying to extinguish the flames.
Old and faulty wiring can easily cause electrical fires so it's best
to have it inspected by
Lancaster Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electrical. To learn more, or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (717) 207-9952.