Are you going on vacation in the next few weeks (before summer is finally over and done with)? The last thing you want is to worry about your home while you're gone, or worse - coming back to a home with an electrical, plumbing, or HVAC emergency. Before you head off to your dream vacation, make sure you properly prep your home.
- Set your water heater to vacation mode; this will prevent the fixture from continuously heating water that will not be used
- Walk around your home and turn off water valves on each plumbing fixture; this includes each toilet, sink, dishwasher, and washing machine
- Clean out your garbage disposal with a vinegar and hot water solution; this will prevent your kitchen from stinking if there's any food currently stuck in the disposal or drain
- Do not turn off your HVAC system; keep this on to prevent excessive heat and humidity damage within your home
- Set the thermostat higher than you normally would; the low 80s is ideal for the summertime
- Close all blinds and curtains on sun-facing sides of the house to prevent the sun from warming the house even more (do this to all windows in case of burglars)
- Unplug power cords, electronic devices, and small appliances
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Do not leave any lights on 24/7; any lights you would like to keep on should be on a timer
- Test out your motion-activated outdoor floodlight; install one to deter possible burglars
Going on vacation means you'll be worry-free for a few days - so take care of your home now so you don't have to worry about it later. When your plumbing, HVAC, or electrical systems start giving you problems, contact the pros at Lancaster Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electrical. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (717) 207-9952.