Servicing Lancaster and Surrounding Areas
Call Us! 717.207.9952 Text Us! 717.775.7555

Dry Air is the Secret to Beating Mold

Have you ever thought about the humidity level in your home?

A home lacking in humidity might be the reason you have chapped lips or is why your furniture is beginning to crack. On the other hand, too much moisture in the air of your home could cause mildew and mold to thrive.

The presence of mold in your home can cause health issues and damage to the internal structure of your home. To keep your home healthy and safe, it’s important to manage the humidity level.

undefined

Signs of High Humidity

To determine if you have high levels of humidity in your home, there are a few things you should look for:

Fogging Glass

One sign of humidity can be the fogging up of interior glass. If a large amount of moisture is present in the home, moisture will collect on the glass.

This may be caused by a humidifier that is too large for the room, excess steam in bathrooms from showering, or overall improper ventilation.

Mold Growth

Mold spots can appear as dark grey, green, or black specks on surfaces.

You will usually spot them on the wall or in the corners of the ceiling where it’s the most humid in your home. In bathrooms, you’ll usually find mold in the same places, but also in the cracks and crevices of plumbing fixtures like faucets and where walls and the bathtub connect.

These spots can be scrubbed away with bleach if they are treated early, but be sure to wear the proper protection (goggles, face mask, gloves, etc.).

To prevent mold you need to manage the moisture level in the home and use things such as exhaust fans. Making sure that your home has the proper air quality will help you and your loved ones breathe easier.

Musty Smells

High humidity can also create a musty smell or odor within the home. These smells are often present in basements and crawl spaces.

Checking for water stains on the walls can help you indicate if moisture has been present in the room.

Use a Dehumidifier to Help Prevent Mold Growth

Dehumidifiers are a positive solution for helping to maintain the desired level of humidity in your home — which is between 40 and 60 percent.

Running a dehumidifier will help to take some of the moisture out of the air. It will in return protect your home from mold and mildew damage.

They work by drawing moist air in and causing it to condense around the coils in the unit. Making the humidity in your home more comfortable and providing better air quality for you and your family to enjoy.

Depending on the size of your home, you may need one or multiple dehumidifiers to effectively take care of the space. A licensed professional can help you to choose the right unit for your home and help with installation.

Here is an example of an HVAC system with mold inside of the unit.

mold in HVAC system