A house fire is one of the most terrifying events any homeowner can experience. Even a small fire in the kitchen can turn into a full blaze in just a matter of minutes. While most fires are preventable, not many people know how to prevent electrical fires, much less handle them if they arise.
How to Handle an Electrical Fire
Find the Source
If possible, find out where the fire has started. Look for sparks, smoke, and other signs of fire. If it’s small enough, you may be able to put the fire out to avoid further damage or danger.
Cut Off Power
Many electrical fires are caused by faulty wiring or old or overloaded circuits. By cutting off the power (if possible) you’ll be reducing the chance of the fire spreading. While this may be done by cutting off power at your electrical panel or simply by unplugging an appliance, never do so in the source looks wet or is too engulfed in flames.
Use Baking Soda
Fires, even electrical ones, need oxygen to thrive, so cutting off that supply can extinguish it quickly. If the small is small, pour baking soda on it to snuff it out.
Use Class C Extinguisher
Contrary to common belief, not all fire extinguishers are able to put out every type of fire. In order to put out an electrical fire, you need to use a Class C extinguisher. Many home models are rated for this, but before buying one to keep on-hand, make sure to choose one that will be able to handle electrical fires as well.
Never Use Water
While water can help put out a regular fire, it should never be used on electrical fires. Water acts as a conduit and can actually fuel the electrical fire rather than put it out.
In order to keep your safe from electrical fires, it’s essential to have your home’s electrical work properly inspected and upgraded, if need be. The expert electricians at Lancaster PHCE as here to help keep your home safe, no matter what. Contact us today to schedule a service.