Decorating your home for the holidays is an exciting time of the year to
bond with your family. However, decorating the exterior of your home will
need to be done a certain way to avoid creating any electrical and fire
hazards. To safely
decorate the outside of your home, utilize these tips.
- Inspect all cords and strands of lights before plugging them into electrical
outlets. If any of the wires are frayed or damaged, throw them away immediately.
- Make sure all extension cords, lights, and other decorations are marked
for outdoor use. Those that aren't will pose a serious fire hazard,
especially when it rains or snows.
- Do not plug too many lights into one electrical outlet. If there is only
one outdoor electrical outlet, consider having more installed. Otherwise,
the circuit will be at risk for constantly overloading.
- Fasten all cords and light strands tightly to trees, windows, and edges
of the house. Loose wiring can become frayed and damaged by harsh winds.
However, do not fasten the cords and lights too tight.
- Always turn decorative lights off before going to bed to reduce the risk
of a house fire while asleep. You can also purchase a timer to turn the
lights off for you at the same time each and every night.
The holiday season is the most wonderful time of the year, and staying
safe will make it that much better. When you need additional electrical
outlets installed outside, contact Lancaster Plumbing, Heating, Cooling
& Electrical. To learn more, or to schedule an appointment, give us
a call at (717) 207-9952.